Welcome to Second Grade!
Policies and Procedures 2019-2020
* Dismissal: Dismissal is at 2:10 each day. Please be as prompt as possible when picking up your child each day in the schoolyard. The blue cards you have filled out for the office have a space for you to fill in the only adults that are permitted to take your child home from school. For the safety and protection of your child, please only send those adults you list on the emergency cards to pick up your child. He or she MUST have I.D. with them or I cannot release your child to them. Also, please let your child know exactly who is picking them up. In addition, if your child takes the bus and will not be taking the bus home on a particular day, I need to have a written note from you. If your child will be attending an after school program and for some reason will not attend on a particular day, I need to have a written note to give to the office. Your child’s safety is my first priority.
* Homework: All homework is given as a reinforcement of what was learned in school. Therefore, please be sure it is completed neatly and on time; assistance with homework may be necessary, but please allow them to do as much on their own as possible. Homework assignments will be found in the homework assignment pad. Please sign the bottom of that day’s assignment page. All school notices and notes from me will be sent to you through the homework (red) folder. Please check and clean out the folder every single day. Please send all notes and monies (in an envelope with your child’s name) through the homework folder. This is the best way for you and I to know we receive all documents.
* Assessments: Please return any assessments, signed with your child the day after they are received.
* Attendance: Whenever your child misses a school day, you must send in a note. If your child was seen by a doctor, please send in a doctor’s note. If your child did not see a doctor, you must write a note for the absence. I will need to keep a record of all absences.
* Breakfast: Breakfast will be served in the classroom each day.
* Lateness: Please send your child to school on time. If your child arrives after 8:00 A.M., they will be marked late.
* Bathroom Policy: Please make sure your child uses the restroom before they leave for school every morning. It is important that your child understands the importance of using the restroom only when it is necessary. This is crucial because the children miss important material and learning time when using the facilities. Ilf your child has a problem and needs to use the restroom more than once a day and at lunchtime, please send a note with your child.
* Birthdays: I have a list of the children’s birthdays, but please let me know when and if you plan on sending something in to celebrate. You may send in something small such as cupcakes, munchkins, cookies, and/or juice boxes. Please drop off any birthday goodies with your child in the morning. The 5th grade monitors and I will take any heavy bags up to our classroom.
* Snack: Please send your child with a healthy snack such as fruit, pretzels, crackers ,etc. The children never share snacks due to allergies to foods. Please send in a small bottle of water, too. Please separate their snack from their lunch in a bag with their name on it, if possible.
* Scholastic Book Orders: Ordering books from Scholastic is a great way to add books to your child’s own library at home. You will be receiving monthly order forms. Please send order form and payment(cash only) in an envelope with your child’s name on front.
* Uniforms: On Wednesdays the children have gym class. Sneakers and comfortable clothes must be worn. The gym teacher will not allow your child to participate in gym class if he or she is not wearing sneakers.
* PREPS: Our prep schedule is as follows:
Monday - Computer and Research
Tuesday - Health
Thursday - Music
Friday - Art
If you ever have any questions or would like to meet with me throughout the year, please send a letter with your child. I will gladly set up an appointment to meet with you during Parent Engagement on Tuesday afternoons. I look forward to working with you and your children this year. We must work together to have a successful year!
Ms. Annmarie Giuffre